The Perspective Blog
Northwood In the Media
See our latest contributions, appearances, and articles from our Northwood staff
- Tom McCullough spoke at the Family Enterprise Canada's Symposium 2023. Tom discussed his journey, his books and some wisdom. "You have to start with who you are and what you value" - Tom McCullough.
- See Scott Hayman's article "Single-family offices, facing headwinds, eye partnerships with multi-family offices" in Canadian Family Offices. Read more.
- Northwood Family Office is pleased to announce that we have been selected as a finalist in the ‘Multi-Family Office (Up to and Including $2.5 Billion AuM/AuA)’ and Tom McCullough is a finalist in the ‘Outstanding Contribution to Wealth Management Thought Leadership (Individual)’ category at the Tenth Annual Family Wealth Report Awards 2023 program. Winners will be announced on May 4th during Gala in New York. Read more.
- Tom McCullough spoke at a great family office event hosted by Aird & Berlis at the ACG Toronto Chapter. Tom sharing his insights on how multi-family offices support the private investments of our clients.
- A huge Congratulations to Brad Jesson, CA, CPA, CIM on being named a CPA Ontario Emerging Leader. Being recognized by the CPA Ontario institute is an incredible accomplishment. Brad won this award due to his excellent client advisory work, guest lecturing at University of Toronto - Rotman School of Management and his work with many non-profits including Free Play for Kids, REACH Edmonton Council for Safe Communities, Infill Development in Edmonton Association, Mind Your Plastic, and Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (formerly CERA). Everyone at Northwood Family Office is very proud!
- See Eric Weir's comments on longer-term growth choices in the public markets - Canadian Family Offices article - Where Canada's high-net-worth investors could invest $1 million now. Read more.
- Northwood’s Tom McCullough co-authored an article “Does your firm really offer integrated family wealth services? Click here for the full article. “At the UHNW Institute, a nonprofit think tank devoted to clarifying core issues for families, family offices, and wealth advisory firms, the opportunities and challenges of truly integrated services have bubbled to the surface in recent member events and internal discussions. Integration is one of the most intriguing concepts to capture the attention of firms and families, partly because it can be elusive to define, even as it is widely cited.”
- We are proud to share that Northwood Family Office has once again been recognized as the #1 Multi Family Office in both Canada and North America in the 2022 Euromoney Private Banking and Wealth Management 2022 survey. The firm has also received the top ranking in Canada and North America across multiple categories this year. Read more.
- Russ Haworth hosts Northwood Family Office's CEO & Chairman Tom McCullough and Jim Grubman in an engaging podcast on the challenges of developing an integrated practice and the skills required to be successful. To listen to the podcast, click here.
- Northwood’s Lorn Kutner comments on the top reasons why CRA may review or audit tax returns. Click here for the full article. The CRA conducts most reviews according to an undisclosed scoring system that identifies returns with “the highest potential for inaccuracy. While the CRA chooses to keep its methodology for reviews secret, Lorn Kutner, tax consultant at Northwood Family Office tax in Toronto, says first-time claims such as large charitable donations, or medical or child care expenses tend to get flagged. Read more.
- Read more of Wealth Professional Canada Magazine’s article with Tom McCullough discussing how the recent CI Financial acquisition will propel Northwood’s growth plan. Read More.
- “When faced with the anxiety of protecting a frail parent, Dickenson says that it is important to hear from the elderly parent, too, whenever they are mentally and physically able to share their own opinion. Respecting their feelings can help in decision making.” Read more of Scott Dickenson’s commentary in the Canadian Family Offices article on the best way to support elderly parents during the pandemic. Read More.
- “Family wealth integration: Some well-run single-family offices and a few leading-edge MFOs have cracked the code on being the mortar that keeps all the bricks together, either completely in-house or with the close collaboration of high-quality outside providers. They see their mission as serving multiple domains of a family’s needs with a strong family/advisory team relationship at its core.” Read more in the UHNW Institute article co-authored by Tom McCullough on integrated wealth management as an intriguing concept for firms and families. Read More.
- "We often find that if you use ‘coming of age’ as the primary condition of inheritance, you’re ensuring that people are ready to receive the capital and that they have already forged their own sort of path and identity,” Read more comments from Andrew Jeffery in Canadian Family Offices' article. Read More.
- "Before contacting a real estate agent or looking at properties, parents should call a family meeting first, says Tom McCullough, a Toronto wealth advisor and co-author of Wealth of Wisdom: The Top 50 Questions Wealthy Families Ask." Read more in Canadian Family Offices' article on how parents can best help adult kids into the housing market. Read More.